Lori Donovan, President
Frances Reeve, Past President
Eileen Godwin, President-Elect
Schenell Agee, Secretary
Beth Lee, Treasurer
Margaret Baker, Executive Director
Virginia Association of School Librarians
The mission of the Virginia Association of School Librarians is to be the recognized voice for excellence in Virginia’s school libraries through the promotion of literacy, information access and evaluation, love of literature, effective use of technology, collaboration in the teaching/learning process, intellectual freedom, professional growth, instructional leadership and lifelong learning.
VAASL advocates for collaboration with all stakeholders to ensure student academic success.
- Provide membership with Web links and information to other professional organizations on VAASL website, listserv, social media, and VOICE publications
- Develop an infographic linking SOLs and school libraries and academic achievement on our website, that is downloadable, or sold as a poster size for districts to purchase. Instructional Standards Implementation Chair/Committee will develop this infographic
- Encourage outreach to school superintendents, local and state school boards, and other stakeholders.. VAASL will provide library advocacy resources for librarians to engage stakeholders in conversations. For example, roundtable discussions, elevator speeches, talking points, conference sessions, etc.
VAASL advocates for the implementation of AASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner, Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Programs, and A 21st Century Approach to School Librarian Evaluation.
- Educate members on the website, through webinars, conference sessions, listserv, social media, etc. to broaden their understanding of the Standards for the 21st Century Learner and Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Programs, and A 21stCentury Approach to School Librarian Evaluation.
- Create opportunities for the membership to share examples of standards and guidelines in action such as the AASL Lesson Plan Database, Google Doc folders of SOL framework lessons, AASL Standards lessons, etc.
- VAASL will provide librarians with resources to engage in conversations with administrators on the evaluation process of school librarians. Resources can include statistical information on how districts evaluate school librarians, and links to other district, state, organization evaluation models.
VAASL advocates for the development and support of libraries as learning communities while maintaining partnerships and defining best practices.
- Support the creation of student-centered library programs and collections (both virtual and physical) that are vibrant, dynamic, and constantly evolving, by providing concurrent sessions at state and regional conferences, links on websites, listserv, and social media.
- Develop metrics to demonstrate the impact of the library program on student growth in reading, competency in research skills, and transliteracy.
- Identify and recommend state and national information literacy benchmarks.
- Partner with stakeholders to model and teach the concepts of digital citizenship, including respect for intellectual property, awareness of digital footprint.
- Provide professional development on best practices in instruction and all areas of the school library program by modeling and teaching the seamless manipulation of information and ideas in and across all formats with professional conferences, webinars, etc.
VAASL develops leaders through professional communication, collaboration and growth.
- Actively recruit stakeholders to become contributors to VAASL, eg. through our membership drive and collaboration with other state associations..
- Regularly encourage participation and leadership development opportunities to the membership.
- Encourage members to be active participants in other professional organizations which support school libraries by providing links on website, listserv, and social media.
- Promote the book Empowering Leadership: Developing Behaviors for Success by Ann M. Martin by having copies available for purchase at conferences
- Provide mentoring opportunities for candidates of National Board Certification, new librarians, etc.
The resources in this section are limited to VAASL Members only. To gain access to the following items, you will need the password provided with your VAASL membership. To join VAASL, visit the VAASL Membership Online Application.
NOTE: If you are a current member and need password assistance, please contact:
Margaret Baker, Executive Director
PO Box 2015
Staunton , VA 24402-2015
1 (540) 416-6109